Taking an broadened look at industrial design and including designers who aren’t just focusing on commercial items, but using design thinking to create user encounters, systems and procedures, the 55-page report is really a treasure chest of wonderful details concerning the role that industrial design is playing in shaping the current U . s . States.
Here are the most fascinating takeaways:
- At this time, you will find greater than 40Thousand industrial designers employed in the U . s . States.
- Most salaried industrial designers operate in either manufacturing (11, 730 employees) or perhaps in professional, scientific or technical services (7, 570 employees).
- Industrial designers have greater salaries than graphic artists or designers. The annual median wage of the industrial designer this year was $59, 610.
- You will find 1, 579 industrial design institutions within the U . s . States, having to pay out roughly $1.4 billion in annual payroll.
- Michigan, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, Indiana and Pennsylvania possess the greatest power of industrial designers within the labor force.
- Two states employ greater than 3Thousand industrial designers each: California and Michigan.
- Industrial design reaches an exciting-time high, and U.S. design patents have arrived at a 25-year peak.
- 54% of design patents granted since 1998 were granted within the following product groups: furnishings, recording and communication, tools and hardware, packaging, food service equipment, transportation, environment cooling and heating, and games, toys and sports.
- Industrial designers are frequently creators, but creators aren’t frequently industrial designers. Between 1975 and 2010, 40 % of individuals named on design patents were also named on utility patents comparatively, 3 percent of individuals names on utility patents were also incorporated around the design patent.
- Within the next couple of years, the NEA needs employment for industrial designers within the expertise sector (e.g. engineering firms and specialized design firms) to leap 29%.
- Overall employment for industrial designers is anticipated to develop 10.5% from 2010 to 2012, slightly less than for those jobs in general, in which a 14.3% rate of growth is predicted.
- The 4 biggest industrial design firms earn 11 percent from the industry’s total revenue. The fifty biggest earn nearly half at 45%. Match it up to the peak 50 firms within the expertise sector in general, which creates only 18% from the sector’s total revenue.
- This Year, 7 industrial design patents were granted for each 100Thousand individuals the U . s . States.
- 45% of design patents are granted to U.S. companies, and 32% to foreign firms. The relaxation are granted mostly to people.
- The very best ten U.S. companies rated by quantity of industrial design patents are: Microsoft, Procter &lifier Gamble, Nike, Goodyear, Black &lifier Decker, Wolverine Worldwide, Kohler Company, Apple, 3M, and...